WKU administrators, government officials attend Dine with Decision Makers

Michael McKay

WKU students were given the opportunity to rub elbows with officials and legislators at the Student Government Association’s Dine with Decision Makers tonight in the Cupola Room. This is the third year the event took place.

SGA President Billy Stephens said the dinner allowed students to bring up issues with these decision makers.

“The average student really doesn’t get to convey what they want to those kinds of people,” Stephens said.

Stephens said the guest list was changed to allow students to talk with WKU officials.

“This is the first year that we invited the Regents and university administration,” he said.

WKU President Gary Ransdell said his attendance was fulfilling the decision making part of the night.

“It’s neat of student government to do this, and it’s an opportunity for our students and public officials to spend some time together,” Ransdell said.

During the dinner, Ransdell and the members of his table spoke about what problems they were having this semester and ways the students could branch out into different organizations.

Bowling Green City Commissioner and WKU instructor Melinda Hill said the dinner offered a good opportunity to get to know WKU students and SGA senators.

“I’m excited to meet the students in a different setting,” Hill said.

Mt. Sterling junior Jordan Campbell, an SGA senator, said the dinner would allow him to express his concern on issues that matter to him directly to policy makers.

“I’m a musical theater major, so something that is very important to me is arts funding, especially with our economy the way it has been over the last few of years, it’s important to me to find out where the arts are headed in terms of funding and support from the government and WKU,” Campbell said.