LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Key players in study abroad should be recognized

Tom Millington

I was disappointed with the omission of some important information from an article that appeared in the October 21 issue of The Herald.

The Kentucky Institute for International Studies (KIIS) has played an integral role in promoting study abroad to WKU students. Since moving to the WKU campus in 2009, KIIS has made a significant contribution to the increase in the number of students who study abroad. Its quality summer and semester programs are an excellent fit for WKU students. I encourage The Herald to include KIIS in its future investigations as they may relate to study abroad and internationalization. 

While it is true that many Honors College students participate in faculty-led programs, I would like to point out that thanks to the efforts of the Honors College, we have seen a notable increase in participation in the Harlaxton program. I encourage The Herald to examine how honors colleges at other universities promote study abroad. It will be evident that not all honors colleges are as committed to study abroad as the WKU Honors College program.

Lastly, the Cooperative Center for Study Abroad (CCSA) has enabled WKU faculty to lead short-term winter and summer programs abroad. CCSA is another valuable resource in promoting study abroad as an accessible option for WKU students. We are fortunate to have them on campus. 

There are many important players on campus who work hard to promote study abroad. I simply would like to see the recognition for their efforts.

Tom Millington

Director of Study Abroad & Global Learning