Christmas kicks off at Kentucky Museum with decoration contest

Rachael Walters

The Kentucky Museum kicked off the Christmas season tonight with its third Holiday Ornament Contest. A total of 33 university organizations gathered to decorate their own Christmas tree with the theme of their choice.

First place for best overall went to the Medallion Honor Society, with Women in Transition following in second place and Phi Sigma Pi in third place. The Future Educators Association of America won Big Red’s Favorite, and The American Sign Language Organization took home Most Club Spirit. Habitat for Humanity won the Most Original Prize.

Monticello junior Heather Stearns, representing the National Student Speech Language Hearing Association (NSSLHS), won the Ugly Holiday Sweater contest. Stearns said her sweater came from her mother’s closet — who was slightly insulted her daughter called the sweater ugly. Stearns said she added large gift box buttons to make the sweater even “better.”

Celebrity guest judges included the Bowling Green Hot Rods’ promotional manager, Jennifer Johnson, and long-time Warren County Sheriff,  Jerry “Peanuts” Gaines. The Hot Rods’ mascot, Roscoe, and Big Red also came out to celebrate the event.

Before the judging began Gaines said he was “looking for something that really catches my eye.”

The winning team, the Medallion Honor Society, decked its tree out with green and red ornaments with red ribbon spiraling down. They topped the tree with a large Grinch doll and silver sparkly branches.

The English club presented a “Poet-tree” wrapped with an inscribed ribbon of Robert Frost’s poetry. It was topped with a book of poems, and gifted books lay underneath. The Biology Grad Society decorated their tree with leaf-chains, snakes, pinecone, white squirrels, and topped it with a holly star.

Ginna Greer of Greenwood high school and member of the Best Buddy program enjoyed the festivities with her Best Buddy, Shepardsville freshman Helen Heines.

“I like Christmas. That’s my favorite time of year, especially decorating,” Greer said. “My favorite part of decorating is putting ornaments on the tree.”

The room was filled with the Christmas spirit as participants enjoyed the trees, refreshments and Christmas music that played in the background.

The night also included smaller activities found on tables such as coloring or making a paper dreidel.

“The trees are bigger and better and more fantastic than ever,” said Christy Spurlock, assistant professor and education curator of the Kentucky Museum.

Viewers will be able to enjoy the trees until Jan. 2.