SGA passes three bills, gives others first read

Taylor Harrison

The Student Government Association had a lot of legislation to look over at its Tuesday meeting, with one bill passing and four bills and one resolution getting their first reads.

The Organizational Aid bill, which got its second read tonight, passed. This bill allocated $500 in funding each for the Black Student Alliance and The Western Kentucky University Habitat for Humanity Campus Chapter.

Additionally, two other bills were passed, even though it was their first read. Due to time constraints, SGA decided to proceed on the bills this week.

One of the bills passed was another Organizational Aid bill regarding funding for Women’s Club Soccer Team, Hilltopper Officials Association and The Western Kentucky University Microbiology Club. Women’s Club Soccer Team was recommended an allocation of $400, while the other two will receive $500 each. The total allocation of the bill is $1,400.

The other bill passed regarded funding for Hilltoppers Vote T-shirts. The bill allocated $600 to purchase 65 T-shirts from BlueCotton.

The two bills that got their first reads tonight will be voted on next week, along with a resolution about the possible Downing University Center name change. The bills allocate $900 funding for Study Abroad Scholarship Award Allocations and Scholar Development Grant Award Allocations.

The resolution is to support the DUC name being changed to Downing Student Union as part of the renovation process.

Upcoming events include the Study Abroad and Student Teach Abroad Scholarships deadline on Friday and the deadline for Scholar Development Grant applications on Nov. 11. Another event is Dine with Decision Makers on Dec. 1.