WKU sophomore Peay collects 266 votes; Wilkerson elected mayor

Bowling Green sophomore Brandon Peay, a mayorial candidate, holds hands with girlfriend and New Orleans sophomore Kristin Thames on Tuesday at Buffalo Wild Wings after hearing election results. Peay received 266 votes, good enough for 3.18 percent of the vote.

Natalie Hayden

Bruce Wilkerson was elected to be the next mayor of Bowling Green in today’s special election.

“It’s been a long campaign,” said Wilkerson, a current city commissioner. “I’ve been running since the first day the office was open, so it’s been about 11 months.”

Wilkerson won with 56 percent of the vote, defeating incumbent Joe Denning and WKU sophomore Brandon Peay, who earned 266 votes.

“The best candidate won, and I wish him luck as mayor,” Peay said.

Denning was also supportive of Wilkerson as mayor.

“I’m not disappointed,” Denning said. “What I told [Bruce] came from the bottom of my heart. I support him 100 percent.”

Wilkerson has been a city commissioner for five years and plans to continue the work he has done in the past.

“We’ll continue the path we’ve taken, building a team and creating a good atmosphere in the commission room,” he said. “We’ll work on the budget, make sure we’re living within our means, and look at prospects for new jobs in the community.”

Because Wilkerson is leaving his position as commissioner to become mayor, a vacant seat will be left on the commission. Wilkerson said that the commission will most likely vote to appoint someone, although official plans have not been made yet.

Prior to becoming mayor, Denning was a commissioner for nearly two decades and said he would like to serve again.

“If the president of the commission feels that I can still serve the citizens of the city of Bowling Green, I certainly would,” he said.

A date has not yet been set for the swearing-in ceremony.