WKU student organizes fashion show for charity

Monta Reinfelde

More than 200 people attended a fashion show in the Garrett Conference Center Ballroom on Thursday evening.

The fashion show was a personal senior project of Henderson senior Raemia Higgins, a design, merchandising and textiles major collaborating with business fraternity Kappa Alpha Psi.

Higgins, Louisville sophomore Alexus Davis, Louisville senior Jordan Pitney and sophomore LaJarvis Evans of Columbus, Ga., were all designers who constructed outfits for the show.

Any other outfits used were borrowed from stores, such as Macy’s and Dillard’s.

Louisville junior Christian Morton said the fashion show was not held only to entertain people and put some new pieces on the organizers’ resumes.

Morton, who is the president of business fraternity Kappa Alpha Psi, said another reason was to raise money to homeless shelters.

The entrance fee for spectators was a maximum of five dollars and a canned good. The proceeds were then donated.

“All the canned goods will be donated to Potter Home for Kids,” Morton said. “We just feel like we need to give back to the community, and this is the way how we plan to do it. We are working for us, as well as others.”

One of the models participating in the fashion show was Nashville senior Gioia Jiles. She said she had never participated in the campus activities before.

She thought the fashion show was such a good idea to raise money that she finally got involved, Jiles said. 

“I am all for that,” Jiles said. “I think it is a very good idea.”

Besides raising money for charity, the organizers, designers and models showed their skills to entertain the audience.

“Today we are having our fashion show, which is sort of like what to wear and what not to wear in a work place,” Morton said. “But we are actually taking a step further making it a little bit more edgy, just to appeal to everyone else’s needs.”

Many spectators agreed that the fashion show went well and that the outfits seemed wearable. Some people were there to support their friends who took part in the show such as Madisonville sophomore Chaquille Johnson.

“A lot of my friends are participating,” Johnson said. “And I know Mia, she is the greatest. I wanted to come out and support her. I enjoyed the fashion show and I can definitely see myself wearing those items.”