Committees vote down term limits

Katherine Wade

The Board of Regents committees voted at their meeting on Friday not to impose term limits on faculty and staff Regents.

Based on the recommendations by the University Senate and the Staff Council, President Gary Ransdell made the proposal to keep the bylaw revisions as they are and not add term limits. The measure passed unanimously.

During the student affairs committee meeting, updates on fall housing and meal plans were presented.

Howard Bailey, vice president for Student Affairs, said Housing and Residence Life is currently housing 4,823 students on campus, 156 more than last year. Bailey said this is due to a significantly higher number of returning students remaining on campus.

“You can see that the renovations we made about a decade ago are now clearly paying off when upper-class students are wanting to stay on campus,” Bailey said.

Osborne said the dining program has also continued to prosper, with about 6,100 students on the meal plan this fall, an increase of about 100 students from last year.

The academic affairs committee approved a graduate certificate in Adult Education and the Emeritus faculty appointments.

Brain Meredith, associate vice president of Enrollment Management, gave an enrollment report. Meredith said the “big boom” seen in enrollment in 2008 is now leveling off.

Gordon Emslie, provost and vice president for Academic Affairs, said retention efforts are well underway.

Emslie said WKU has put a survey online for students to discuss non-academic reasons for leaving the university, and close to 1,000 responses have been received.

Richard Miller, vice provost and chief diversity officer, gave a Southern Association of Colleges and Schools interim fifth year review update.

SACS is the regional body for the accreditation of degree-granting higher education institutions, according to the SACS website.

Miller said he was proud of the report his team had put together.

The next Board of Regents meeting is scheduled for 8 a.m. on Oct. 21.