ADPi, Sigma Nu, AKA win Cajun-inspired homecoming

Rachael Walters

Alpha Delta Pi, Sigma Nu and Alpha Kappa Alpha walked away the big winners of this year’s homecoming, taking home the prizes for overall homecoming winner and best float.

The float featured Big Red fishing on a boat complete with a giant fan, a swamp filled with alligators, and even a giant rubber duck.

The Homecoming Parade started out strong at 5 p.m. as Big Red’s Marching Band led the way up the Hill while playing the WKU Fight Song.

The parade kicked off by the Downing University Center, marching past Cherry Hall and ending in Fountain Square Park downtown where Big Red’s Roar took place.

Even President Gary Ransdell and his wife, Julie, took to the street. Ransdell proudly waved his red towel and spoke to parade watchers. The couple also brought their golden retriever along for the walk.

The Ogden College of Science and Engineering’s Precision Grill and Drill team grilled hamburgers on the back of their trailer as it was pulled by a cart. Behind the trailer, members pushed lawn mowers and even did a short routine in front of Cherry Hall that involved synchronized moves.

Greek organizations, sports teams, residence halls and student organizations participated in the parade and were cheered on by the onlookers lining the streets. Homecoming queen candidates rode in front of their organizations in convertibles.

The theme of “Geaux Toppers” was captured by the Cajun and bayou inspired floats, many featuring Big Red fishing, peppers, swamps, alligators and other Louisiana-inspried designs. Organizations tossed both candy and Mardi Gras beads to the onlookers.

The floats then wrapped around the downtown square as the organizations gathered around the stage, ready to begin Big Red’s Roar, a pep rally.

Students cheered, blew horns, used kitchenware as makeshift noisemakers and danced to the music of the Ernie Small Blues Band. Organizations held up their letters and flags as everyone joined in to sing the Fight Song.

Football Head Coach Willie Taggart and members of the team also took to the stage and said a few encouraging words about tomorrow’s game against Louisiana-Lafayette.

The crowd chanted “Bobby” for running back Bobby Rainey who did not say much other than to thank everyone for coming out to show support. Taggart called him “a man of few words, but many yards.”

Homecoming queen candidates were introduced, but the winner will not be revealed until halftime at tomorrow’s football game.

In addition to ADPi, Sigma Nu and AKA, other winners are Alpha Xi Delta, Iota Phi Theta and Sigma Alpha Epsilon winning second place overall and the Greek spirit stick. Chi Omega, Ceres, Kappa Alpha Psi and Sigma Phi Epsilon placed second for the Greek spirit stick.

The Baptist Campus Ministry won the organization spirit stick, and Minton Hall won overall for Residence Hall.

Frankfort senior and risk reduction officer for Sigma Nu, Jefferson Watters, said Sigma Nu was thrilled over their win.

“We could not have placed in Homecoming without the beautiful ladies of Alpha Delta Pi, and Alpha Kappa Alpha,” Watters said. “In my opinion, Geaux Toppers was one of the best themes I’ve experienced as a student at WKU.”