Make A Difference Week welcomes student participation

Amanda Young

Students and faculty have the opportunity to impact their community during Make a Difference Week, sponsored by Leadership and Volunteerism, a division of the office of Student Activities.

“During Make a Difference Week, we hope to highlight how students, faculty and staff make a difference in the lives of others,” said Student Activities Coordinator Hunter Williams.

However, bringing attention to student acts isn’t the only thing special about the week.

“We will also be hosting activities that will show (participants) ways to make a difference in our community,” said Williams.

Beginning Monday, there will be activities for students and faculty to participate in.

Monday there will be a video shown in the lobby of Downing University Center to kick off the week’s events.

There will also be a photo contest that students, faculty and staff may enter.

Entrants are asked to submit a photo of how they make a difference in their community, and include a short explanation of the picture to be no more than 100 words.

“Students, Faculty, Staff and Guests to WKU can vote for their favorite photo in the lobby of the Downing University Center from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday,” Williams said.

Wednesday from 2 to 6 p.m., there will be a bus taking participants to different opportunities for volunteerism. The bus will visit locations such as the Boys and Girls Club, Miss Annie’s Place & Parker Bennett Curry Elementary School.

“Students can volunteer for this project, and have the opportunity to make an impact in the life of a small child,” Williams said.

“The Blind Side” will be shown on Thursday in DUC 340 at 8 p.m.

There will be free popcorn and drinks and a brief discussion on the impact that one person can have on another’s life.

According to Williams, this will give participants the opportunity to share their personal stories, as well as inspire others.

Friday, a High School Leadership Conference will be held for high school students from Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana and Ohio where the students will be taught leadership skills to help them through high school.

WKU students are asked to volunteer their time to help with registration, day operations and presenting.

To close the week, students have the opportunity to volunteer at Bowling Green 10K, sponsored by the Road Runners Club of America and the Medical Center of Bowling Green.

Any students interested in participating or that have questions are encouraged to contact Hunter Williams or Mindy Johnson in the Student Activities department.