WKU basketball poster photo shoot sees low turnout

The WKU men’s basketball team gathered with about 50 students Wednesday at Diddle Arena to shoot photos for the 2011-2012 poster. The event was announced in an email earlier that morning, and WKU had hoped to see 400 or more students attend.

Chela Counts

It was marketed a rare and unique fan opportunity for all WKU students.

On less than a day’s notice, about 50 students took WKU up on an offer Wednesday in Diddle Arena to be a part of a photo shoot. Those 50 will appear alongside the men’s basketball team on this year’s schedule poster.

Lindsay Thomas, Assistant Athletic Director for Marketing and Ticket Sales, said enough people showed up for the shoot to be successful, even though an informational email sent Wednesday morning called for 400 or more. 

“These are our hardcore, die-hard fans,” she said, “I’m so excited because those are the students that come to so many of our games — not just basketball, but volleyball, soccer, baseball and softball.”

An email was sent out by Blair Silliman, Coordinator of Student Programs for Housing and Residence Life, on Wednesday morning just before 9 a.m. to some students information about the photo shoot.

Louisville sophomore Ryan Williams said he received an email through the “Code Red” mail group. He said he was excited and prepared for the moment once he read it.

“Whenever I come here it’s always so much energy and momentum in my body, and I get to release it here at WKU,” Williams said. 

With Hilltopper Hysteria set for Oct. 14, many of the fans from the student section are already excited for this year’s season to begin.

Flint, Mich., freshman Brandon Gifford said he’s expecting a lot from the Toppers this season. 

“Since it’s my freshman year, I expect that we’re going to go all out because we are Hilltoppers and we expect nothing but that,” Gifford said.

The photo shoot itself lasted about 20 minutes. The men’s basketball team joined with the students by painting their chests with “WKU HILLTOPPERS.” Freshman forward Vinny Zollo even went as far as to paint his face white.

Thomas says that students can expect to receive the WKU Men’s Basketball poster during this year’s Hilltopper Hysteria on Oct. 14.