Fallows begins this year’s Cultural Enhancement Series

Joanna Williams

When Gary Ransdell became WKU’s president in 1997, he made it a priority to bring prominent speakers and performers that would broaden student horizons.

Because of this, the Cultural Enhancement Series was created.

Now in its 14th year, the series has brought prominent speakers and performers such as Alvin Ailey, Henry Louis Gates and the Preservation Hall Jazz Band to the Hill.

At 7:30 p.m. tonight, journalist James Fallows will visit campus and share his experiences of living in China and the country’s road to democracy. Fallows, a writer for The Atlantic magazine, has been working as a national correspondent in China since 2006.

He has published nine books, his latest being “Post Cards from Tomorrow Square: Reports from China” in 2009. It features several essays about China’s role as an emerging economic power in the world.

Mina Doerner, assistant to the dean of Potter College of Arts and Letters, has been working with the Cultural Enhancement Series since its start. Because of the series, students are able to hear and see people that are making an impact in the world.

“It provides a space for students to see people who are in the news all the time, who are doing fairly big things,” Doerner said.

Erika Brady, a professor in the folklore and anthropology department and a committee member, said the committee spends many months scheduling and finding the speakers.

Doerner said the committee is made up of mostly WKU faculty who take suggestions from Bowling Green residents and other WKU faculty members on whom to bring in.

Along with his lecture this afternoon, Doerner said Fallows will have a small group session with students where they will discuss his book in further detail.

“That’s one of the nice things about the Cultural Enhancement Series — it’s not just only a public lecture, but it gives students a small group session,” she said.

Doerner said that the speakers brought in are meant to not only inspire, but also to introduce people students may have never seen.

“They offer a different perspective — that’s the enhancement part, people who will make you think differently about everyday life,” she said. “These are some people who you can never potentially see again.”

The lecture will take place in Van Meter Hall. It is free and open to the public.