WIT hosting breast cancer awareness fair at WKU

Amanda Young

The Women In Transition Program (WIT) will host a Breast Cancer Awareness Fair at WKU’s South Campus from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday in an effort to raise awareness of the disease.

There will be a table providing students with information on breast cancer, its causes and effects, and the importance of regular examination.

WIT assists non-traditional female students — typically those 25 years or older who are married and/or have children — in networking with other women in the program as well as providing support.

Three South Campus faculty members — Kimberly Cunningham, Megan Thompson and Jennifer Howard — work as advisers to the program and will head up the breast cancer awareness event.

The WIT advisers have worked with Western Kentucky Diagnostic Imaging since last May to coordinate the fair.

“We’re trying to get the word out so that women will know about the importance of mammograms and self exams,” said Cunningham.

Western Kentucky Diagnostic Imaging representative Shonna Galloway said she wants to help the underserved population of women who might not have access to medical examinations.

Galloway said the diagnostic imaging center will provide women with valuable information on breast cancer and resources for early detection.

Not only will WIT be assisting the women in need, but they also want to give back.

The WIT advisors made ribbons in honor of breast cancer awareness and will be selling them throughout the day.

Thompson said a donation will be made to organizations with money collected from selling the ribbons.

Cunningham said future outreach events such as Tuesday’s will be dependent on the success of the fair.

“I hope it is well attended and we can get the word out,” she said. “I know students have class, but I hope they stop by.”