WKU’s floral design courses moved to new shop

Graduate student Bryan Sircy, of Lafayette, Tenn., works in the new Floral Design Training Center delivering floral arrangements around campus. WKU was able to move courses from Environmental Sciences and Technology Hall to the new shop.

Aaron Frasier

Students interested in floral design have a new opportunity on campus to get hands-on experience in the trade.

The new Floral Design Training Center has been opened by the Agriculture Department behind Ransdell Hall on Regents Avenue.

“The center’s purpose is to be a training center for students interested in floral design and floral shop management,” said instructor Roger Dennis.

The courses that will be offered at the center are Introduction to Floral Design, Advanced Floral Design and Wedding Floral Design. Classes were formerly offered in Environmental Sciences and Technology Hall.

“Before, we were in a regular classroom,” Dennis said. “Here, students will experience what it is like in a working florist.”

Livermore senior Kayla Caudle hopes that working in the center will “broaden her views on agriculture” and show her “how floral design works.”

As an agriculture major, Caudle would like to own her own floral shop some day.

The lab is equipped with floral design tables and tools, as well as a floral cooler and other necessary equipment.

Along with being a classroom for students, the center also has a shop in which purchases can be made. Open from 8 a.m to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, the shop features fresh flowers, green plants, balloons and gift items. Delivery services are also available.

Dennis describes the center as both a lab and classroom as well as a full service shop. He hopes that the center will “bring an increased interest of students and involve more students across the disciplines.”

Students and faculty can show their WKU ID and get 10 percent off on cash and carry out items. The delivery service is not covered by the discount.

Irvington sophomore Andrea Stith likes the center because it will give her experience in another career field if she ever needs a backup.

Caudle thinks the center will help teach her the techniques of floral work.

“Anyone can arrange flowers,” she said. “But it takes a special technique to get it right.”