Gary Ransdell’s tailgating email to students

Staff Reports

President Gary Ransdell sent this message regarding tailgating to WKU students on Thursday via email. The following is Ransdell’s message in full:

WKU Students:

The focus of this message is tailgating. Your SGA leaders, the Athletic Department staff, and others across campus spent considerable time over the spring and summer creating a new tailgating plan. They did a great job. I encourage you to reference the new map ( https://admin.xosn.com/fls/5400//FB%20Tailgaiting%20Map%202011.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=5400) and plan your tailgating experience.  The whole campus is available. Use the new student area. Use the parking lots. Use the unloading areas. Let’s make this one of the NCAA’s best tailgate campuses! But, let’s keep it clean, sober, and fun for all of our guests. Let’s bring the entire WKU Family together on Saturday and make it a great place for everyone. Above all, be in Houchens-Smith Stadium by game time at 6:00 p.m.

Tailgating on home football games is an opportunity for you and other members of the WKU Family to show your support for the Hilltoppers and socialize with friends prior to the football game. Tailgating is a pre-game event on our campus, as it is on other college campuses. Tailgating is not a license for alcohol abuse. WKU enforces the state law regarding underage drinking. If a person is under the age of 21 and is drinking, he/she is subject to University sanctioning and arrest.

For those persons who are 21 and over, if you choose to drink, the following rules apply:

• Kegs and glass bottles are prohibited.
  • Visible branding* of alcohol beverages is not allowed.
  • Drinking games show disrespect for those around you and encourage alcohol abuse. Please be mindful of this.
  • No clear cups or clear containers.
  • You must clean up all your waste and trash after tailgating (by game time).  Recycling is available in tailgating areas.
  • Place your tailgate equipment and material in your vehicle before you leave the tailgating area.
  • You will need to proceed into the stadium at the start of the game since tailgating areas will close prior to the game.
  • Cars can be left overnight, but must be moved by 1:00 p.m. Sunday.
  • Tailgaters who do not intend to attend the football game and are only interested in alcohol consumption are not welcome on the WKU campus.

If you choose to violate campus policy or the law, you will be subject to University sanctions and arrest.  We will not let a few individuals who only want to drink ruin the festive atmosphere we are trying to create.  The University is committed to making the campus a safe, wholesome, clean environment for all students, families, and fans at all times and during events.  We appreciate your cooperation.  We want you at all of our games.   We need your spirit, but we also need you to show adult responsibility.

Go Toppers!

Gary A. Ransdell

*Examples of branding would be obvious beer cans/bottles, hard alcohol and wine bottles, etc.