WKU recruiting a pair of Memphis high school teammates

Cole Claybourn

Ridgeway (Tenn.) teammates Cameron Golden and Kordario Fleming have many things in common.

Among that list are the colleges that are recruiting them.

The Memphis duo said WKU has offered them scholarships, and both have WKU near the top of their short list  as well as in-state rival Murray State.

Golden, a three-star rated point guard on Rivals.com, said his interest level in WKU is high.

“I took an unofficial visit probably like a month and a half ago,” he said. “I got to meet to the coaches and staff a little bit. I like the campus.”

Golden is known for his speed and ball handling ability, and would fit a need at point guard for WKU, who will lose combo guard Kahlil McDonald next year to graduation.

Also on his short list are Kent State, Eastern Michigan, Alabama State.

According to Rivals, Duquesne has also offered him a scholarship.

He doesn’t have a ranking order yet and hasn’t named his top choice, but said WKU is in his top two or three.

Fleming, who’s listed at 6-foot-6 and 204 pounds, hasn’t visited campus yet but said he likes what he’s heard about the program so far.

“I like the school, because they go to the (NCAA) tournament,” Fleming said. “It’s a very good place to get an education, and the team is like a family.”

However, he seems to be much more interested in Murray State than Golden.

Fleming said his top three choices right now are Murray State, Ole Miss, and WKU, in that order, although Ole Miss hasn’t officially offered him a scholarship.

Tennessee-Chattanooga, Richmond, Jacksonville State and Tulane have also offered Fleming a scholarship, according to Rivals.com.

Despite both Golden and Fleming being from Memphis, neither one said they’ve talked about the program with former Topper Sergio Kerusch, who also came from Memphis.

With just one player graduating after this season, WKU will have one scholarship available. But if something happens where more than one opens up, the opportunity is there for the two high school teammates to keep their chemistry going on the Hill.

“That would be a very good experience, and it might happen,” Fleming said.

Both players plan to visit together in late August, although a specific date hasn’t been set yet.

Golden and Fleming said they plan on committing to a school before the high school basketball season starts and will sign in the NCAA’s Early Signing Period in November.