WKU sweeps Sun Belt track and field championships for fourth straight year

Cole Claybourn

WKU’s success in the Sun Belt Conference Track and Field Championships continued on Sunday.

The men’s and women’s track and field teams swept the Sun Belt outdoor championships for the fourth straight year.

For the women, it was their 17th straight outdoor championship – the longest conference winning streak in the nation. According to WKU Athletic Media Relations, the WKU women have now won every Sun Belt cross country, indoor, and outdoor team title since 2006 when they won their first indoor title.

The men came from behind in the last three events to edge Louisiana-Monroe by 12.5 points.

The men’s runner-up finish in the 4-by-400-meter relay clinched the title.

The women’s title was sealed in the 5,000-meter event, where junior Michelle Finn placed first and senior Rachel Friedman placed sixth.

Other highlights included Junior Ignacio Guerra’s javelin throw, which at 251 feet, 10 inches, set a new Sun Belt record.

Also on the men’s side, junior Buddy Price earned all-Conference honors with a third-place finish in the men’s hammer throw with a throw of 180 feet, 7 inches.

Freshman Zach Michaud finished fourth in the hammer throw and moved to fourth all-time in WKU history in the hammer throw with a throw of 177 feet, 0 inches.

Senior Laura Iguane won the women’s hammer throw with a throw of 208 feet, 7 inches.

The men and women also swept 1,500-meter races. Freshman David Mokone and sophomore Shadrack Kipchirchir finished first and second, respectively, while senior Vasity Chemweno placed first for the women.

Head Coach Erik Jenkins was named women’s Coach of the Year, while Mokone was named the Freshman of the Year.