WKU softball swept Saturday by Sun Belt-leading Louisiana-Lafayette

Herald Staff

Coming off a sweep of Louisiana-Monroe last weekend, the Lady Toppers had a chance to build some more momentum Saturday.

But that momentum was stopped short by the top team in the Sun Belt Conference.

WKU (26-24, 7-13 Sun Belt) dropped both games of a doubleheader Saturday at No. 23 Louisiana-Lafayette, 3-2 and 10-2.

Sophomore pitcher Mallorie Sulaski helped the Lady Toppers take ULL (41-9, 15-5 Sun Belt) to the brink in the first game of the day, allowing just one earned run in seven innings pitched with seven strikeouts.

WKU took an early lead in the game after an RBI single by sophomore catcher Karavin Dew in the top of the first inning, but the Ragin’ Cajuns responded with two straight runs to take a 2-1 advantage.

A sacrifice fly by sophomore Ciara Garcia tied the game in the fifth inning, and the Lady Toppers had the chance to take the lead in the seventh but stranted two runners on base.

ULL then knocked two consecutive hits in the bottom of the seventh to score the game-winning run.

The Lady Toppers had seven hits in game one, including five doubles. Dew and freshman second baseman Kelsie Mattox had two hits apiece.

Sulaski took the loss in her complete-game effort, dropping her season record to 11-8.

In game two of the doubleheader, WKU was held to just four hits and two runs while the Ragin’ Cajuns led from start to finish.

After falling behind 3-0, the Lady Toppers scored two runs in the bottom of the fourth inning.

But ULL then exploded for its biggest inning of the day, tacking on five runs in the bottom of the fourth to seal the victory.

Freshman pitcher Brittanie Albright (3-2) took the loss for WKU in game two, surrendering three runs in one inning of work. Sophomore Kim Wagner and junior Dana Nathanson finished the game in relief, giving up a combined seven runs.

Sulaski was the only Lady Topper batter with two hits in the second game.

The Lady Toppers finish their series at ULL at noon Sunday.