Rosters set for WKU football’s annual spring game

WKU football players line up for a play during practice at Houchens-Smith Stadium earlier this spring. The Toppers will host their annual spring game Saturday at 5 p.m.

Herald Staff

WKU announced the red and white team rosters for the Toppers’ annual spring game, set for 5 p.m. Saturday, in a press release Monday.

The program had a draft after Friday’s practice to divide the teams.

Senior running back Bobby Rainey was the first overall pick, going to the red team. Also playing for the red team offense will be redshirt freshman quarterback Brandon Doughty, sophomore running back Antonio Andrews and senior offensive lineman Wes Jeffries.

Defensively, the red team will be led by junior defensive tackles Kenny Martin and Jamarcus Allen, junior linebacker Tye Golden, sophomore linebacker Bar’ee Boyd, sophomore defensive backs Tyree Robinson and Kiante Young and freshman safety Jonathan Dowling.

Junior quarterback Kawaun Jakes will led the white team, and he’ll be throwing to receivers Rico Brown, Joel German and Jamarielle Brown.

The white team defense has senior defensive end Jared Clendenin, junior defensive end Quanterus Smith, sophomore linebacker Xavius Boyd, sophomore cornerback Arius Wright and safeties Kareem Peterson and Ryan Beard.

Full rosters for both teams are available here.

The day’s activities will start with a football alumni flag football game at 4 p.m., followed by the spring game an hour later.

WKU fans and students can sign up at the marketing tables at each entrance to Houchens-Smith Stadium for a chance to win prizes throughout the game, including an all-expense paid trip for two to the WKU game at LSU on Nov. 12. That drawing will take place at halftime.

Additionally, four WKU students will be picked to compete in the halftime 1-on-1 passing contest for a chance at $1,000 cash. One fan will also get a chance to play “A Minute To Win It” to win prizes courtesy of Pepsi and Diet Mountain Dew FanDEWmonium.