Job fair allows students to meet with employers

Kevin Allen

The Preston Center was abuzz with career talk at the annual Spring Job Fair Thursday afternoon.

The fair provided an opportunity for students to talk to employers about employment and internships, as well as find out how to prepare for future careers.

A wide variety of employers attended, from local businesses to major companies like Wal-Mart and Disney.

Wayne Hampton, a recruiter for Disney internships and programs, said he likes WKU because of the number of interested students that come out to the job fair, and he thinks that it’s a good experience for all students to attend.

“Even if students aren’t interested in maybe having a job for this semester, it’s still good to go ahead to practice networking skills,” Hampton said. “Talking to people, finding out what’s out there before your final semester of school.”

Rebecca Tinker, associate director for the Career Services Center, said the job fair had been in the Caroll Knicely conference center in previous years, but it was moved to the main campus to encourage students to come out.

“It doesn’t matter if you’re a junior, a freshman or a senior,” Tinker said. “There is always something here for them.”

Alise Hogan, a junior from Chicago, said she liked the variety of employers that showed up, including the government agencies such as the Social Security Administration.

“I think that it is necessary for students to go to at least one job fair,” Hogan said. “You don’t really know what you’re looking for until you have those options in front of you.”