Student ‘always took care of others’

Lindsay Kriz

Transylvania University sophomore Jennifer Montgomery had planned on meeting Steven Jones at the movies today.

Montgomery originally met Jones, a Henderson senior, in 2009. They dated for a while before amicably parting ways because of the distance between their college towns. They had plans to rekindle their romance by seeing a movie.

Jones died at about 4 p.m. on Sunday.

Attempts to reach his family were unsuccessful.

His death came as a shock to Montgomery, who said she’ll continue to not believe it.

“He always took care of others,” she said. “He never needed help being taken care of.”

The two met in September 2009 when Montgomery came to Bowling Green to visit her brother at his apartment.

“I saw him there with the guys and thought he was just a new friend of theirs,” she said.  “I didn’t know he was the new roommate.”

Jones went on to ask Montgomery on a date.

“He said ‘there was something about the pink you were wearing,’” Montgomery said, explaining that she was wearing a neon pink shirt when they met.

One of her favorite memories from her time with Jones was the time she needed a ride from Lexington to Bowling Green for a party, and he picked her up.

“We talked the entire way there while listening to crappy music,” she said.  “It was an experience you never would’ve thought that you’d have.  It was the most fun I’ve had in a very long time.”

When Montgomery and Jones would hang out, she Jones would always lend her the jacket he got when studying abroad in England.

“He would always say I looked better in his clothes than in my clothes,” she said.  “And I always thought, ‘Aww, I tried.’”

Burlington senior Zack Ryle was also shocked by the death of his friend and former roommate.

The two met freshmen year, and they decided to room together.

“We both liked sports, we were both studious, and we had lots of good times too,” he said. “He’s one of the best roommates I’ve ever had.”

Ryle said he remembers Jones as an avid soccer fan whose favorite team was Manchester United.

“I would always come into a room to watch TV, and he would already be in there for I don’t know how long,” he said.

Ryle said the two remained close until Jones studied abroad. After that they occasionally played poker together and texted every so often.

“I hadn’t talked to him in two months,” he said. “That’s something I’ll regret.”

Bowling Green junior Jamie Stewart went to high school with Jones, but said she didn’t really get to know him until Halloween of last year.

“A group of us went to a haunted bridge,” she said. “He told some scary stories.”

Stewart said that she is a religious person, and she shared her faith with Jones last August.

She said she was glad to learn that he had recently joined a church.

“His relationship with God was important to him,” she said.

Stewart said she will always remember Jones as a wonderful guy who loved everyone.

“There was something about him,” she said. “He was a nice person all the time. It’s why people liked him.”