Property managers advise students to do their research

Caitlin Carter

Many WKU students will soon begin the search for off-campus housing.

Whether apartment or house-hunting, WKU students who have spent their mandatory two years in dorms may want to look for a new option, said John Copeland, property manager for Chandler Property Management.

Copeland said that most students have matured during their two years on campus and are capable of maintaining their own property.

“By the time they hit that point, I think they’re ready to get to a place that they can call their own,” Copeland said.

Copeland said many students are ready to move off campus to have a private bedroom.

“Even in a roommate situation in off-campus housing, it does afford students a lot more privacy than dorms,” Copeland said.

Copeland said renter’s insurance, which protects a tenant’s belongings in case of disaster, is highly recommended.

He said Chandler Property Management doesn’t require a tenant to purchase renter’s insurance, but leases contain a statement advising renters to do so because management companies can’t be held responsible for any damages.“Insurance is about $150 or $200 per year, so it’s worth it,” Copeland said.

Copeland said that before anyone seeks out new housing, they should become informed.

“I encourage them to do their research,” he said. “They should ask a lot of questions about the lease, agreement, deposits and utility costs.”

Copeland said he also encourages students to thoroughly read their leases before signing.

“You have to stress to folks to please read their lease agreement,” he said. “It is a legal agreement and it gives them a heads-up of what they can expect throughout the year.”

Anita Daniels, property manager for Campus Pointe, said students need to shop around when looking for off-campus housing for the first time.

“They may want to search for somewhere that has individual leasing so they’re not responsible for their roommates,” she said.

She said students will also want to compare furnished apartments to unfurnished.

“Some want their own bed from home and want that comfort,” Daniels said. “But some don’t want the hassle of having to bring furniture to the apartment.”

A lot of apartment complexes, such as Campus Pointe, include internet, cable and utilities in their rent, Daniels said.

At Campus Pointe, there is a $30-per-person cap on electricity, she said.

Daniels said there are many students that are resourceful and never go over the cap.

“But I also have some that go over every month,” she said. “These are the ones like my son that throws a shirt in the dryer every morning just to get a few wrinkles out.”

When students opt to move off campus, class responsibilities also grow, Richardsville junior Shayna Peters said.

At times, she gets tired of the commute to campus, compared to those who can just roll out of bed and walk to class.

She said she also feels like she has more pressure to get things done quickly, not being within walking distance to professors or computer labs.

“There are negatives and positives for both living on and off campus,” Peters said. “It’s just what amount of responsibility you prefer.” n