WKU loses 7-5 to No. 19 College of Charleston, drops fourth straight

Herald Staff

After starting out the year 5-0, WKU has now lost its last four.

The Toppers (5-4) fell, 7-5, to No. 19 College of Charleston on Friday at Patriots Point Field in the first game of a three-game trip to the College of Charleston Tournament in Mt. Pleasant, S.C.

The Cougars (9-1) jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the first inning off WKU sophomore pitcher Tanner Perkins.

WKU then used second-inning RBI singles from sophomore first baseman Ryan Huck and junior shortstop Logan Robbins to cut the lead to 4-2.

The Toppers tied the game in the top of the fourth thanks to an RBI triple from junior left fielder Jared Andreoli and an RBI groundout by junior second baseman Ivan Hartle.

But the Cougars used a three-run bottom of the fourth inning to break a 4-4 tie and take the lead for good.

All the runs scored in the inning were unearned because of two WKU errors.

In the sixth, Huck scored on a double play off the bat of Hartle, cutting the Charleston lead to 7-5.

But WKU was shutout for the last three innings, and that turned out to be the final score.

Perkins (2-1) lasted just 4 and 1/3 innings while giving up seven runs and eight hits. The left-hander took his first loss of the year.

Friday’s game marked the sixth stop in a season-long 10-game road trip for WKU.

The Toppers’ loss followed previous defeats at the hands of then-No. 17 Coastal Carolina and Pacific last weekend, and a one-run loss at No. 2 Vanderbilt last Tuesday.

WKU will face New York Tech in game two of the tournament at 4 p.m. Saturday.

The Toppers will then play their second game of the day, facing No. 25 Auburn at 7:30 p.m. because of Sunday’s weather forecast, according to WKU media relations.

WKU’s game against Auburn will begin about 30 minutes after the New York Tech game ends.

Freshman Justin Hageman (1-1, 3.00 ERA) will pitch for the Toppers against New York Tech, while the Bears will throw sophomore Tom Cardona (0-0, 0.00 ERA.)