SGA Notes: WKU going to Windows 7 by next fall

Mike Stunson

At tonight’s Student Government Association meeting:

-Cory Dodds, Director of Information Technology, said there will be a campus-wide migration to the Windows 7 operating system by next fall.

-A bill was passed that will support the declaration of WKU as a Fair Trade university. The bill states that declaring itself a Fair Trade university is “one way for Western Kentucky University to further its mission statement of preparing students to be productive, engaged and socially responsible citizen leaders of a global society.” SGA hopes to see Fair Trade items in dining facilities, catered events, offices and stores.

-A resolution for renovations to Downing University Center was up for its first read. The bill will be discussed and voted on at next week’s meeting.

-A bill to allocate $568 in support of Team No Texting during the No Texting and Driving campaign was approved by the senate. The money will go to a Public Relations Management class hoping to establish a campaign creating awareness about the repercussions of texting while driving.

-The senate also allocated $350 for the funding of a retreat for the WKU Institute for Citizenship & Social Responsibility. The event hopes to empower students to be active participants in their communities as well as build their capacity as engaged citizens.

-Three organizations received $500 each from the organizational aid fund.

-President Colton Jessie informed the senate that Kevin Asbury has resigned from the senate.