EDITORIAL: Raise your voices: Students should express opinions on DUC renovations

Herald Staff

THE ISSUE: The lack of student input caused a halt in renovations to the Downing University Center.

OUR VIEW: Students should use this opportunity to express their opinions about improving DUC before the construction begins, rather than complaining about it later.

In what seems like an unprecedented call for student voice before taking action, administrators and the Student Government Association postponed DUC renovations until more student input is gathered.

The Herald commends those leading the efforts for seeking the campus voice before starting yet another construction project. And we encourage all students to participate in the SGA’s campaign to get your input.

After all, DUC is in the heart of campus and was built to provide services to the most important members of the WKU community: the students.

Morganfield junior Charlie Harris, the SGA chief of staff, said he appreciated the administrators realizing that student concern should be at the forefront of decision-making. Later this month, Harris will lead the SGA’s outreach efforts with outlets such as surveys and informational tables in the DUC lobby.

Although we think it’s safe to say we could all do without the inconveniences of construction, we cannot deny that some construction means progress. And with DUC being such an integral part of the WKU experience, the Herald believes renovations would be worth adjusting for.

Some students may argue the proposed 20-year, $70 per semester student fee that would go toward the $49 million project would be unfair since they will have graduated by the time the renovations are complete. But those students should consider the legacy they will be a part of for generations of students to come.

As it stands, DUC might serve its purpose, but it is outdated, poorly arranged and not aesthetically pleasing. The updated DUC theater is just a glimpse of how much better the whole building could be.

We’d like to see (among other things) private study space, a computer lab, 24-hour dining options, more inviting and technologically equipped meeting rooms and a more elaborate game and entertainment area on the fourth floor.

Since thousands of students pour in and out of DUC daily, we know you have suggestions as well. The SGA and administrators have traveled to other student centers and done their part to research student wants and needs. Now, it’s time to do yours.

They are giving you the chance to improve campus on your terms; we encourage you to take it.

This editorial represents the majority opinion of the Herald’s 10-member editorial board.