COMMENTARY: Campus Notebook supports laziness

Spencer Wills

Have you noticed the influx of e-mails from The Campus Notebook? I generally delete e-mails that have nothing to do with my current classes; however, I can’t ignore the fact that these invitations are supporting a bad cause. 

The Campus Notebook advertises that you can submit your class notes and get paid every time someone downloads them for free. I have a problem with companies that cater to the laziness of students. We are here to get an education, not to simply make the grade, though the bulk of importance has been placed on the latter.

I have a problem with people who skip class or are constantly late to class, not to mention the occasional truant who walks in with fresh Starbucks when they actually decide to come. I can’t remember how many times I have been distracted by people walking into class late, or by those select few who play games or browse Facebook the entire time class is in session. 

These e-mails offer money to those who are diligent and attend class in exchange for their personal class notes. As nice as the offer is, do we, the hard-working students, really want to support those who don’t pay attention in class? It is not only the students that are on their computers playing Dungeons and Dragons or FarmVille that would benefit from these free notes, but also those who don’t even show up. If you are so unconcerned with your own advancement in your classes, maybe you should do those who are here to learn a favor and drop out. 

I may be a little biased because I am an education major, and I have a problem with the level of blatant disrespect some students have for professors. I am not afraid to admit that I never share my notes with anyone. This is not because I am selfish, but because I expect those around me to be self-sufficient. 

The Campus Notebook may also support those who want to supplement the notes they already have, but rarely do people who actually attend all of their classes need help. There are resources on campus such as The Learning Center that can help if you are struggling academically. Don’t support this ridiculous organization that is catering to the lazy leeches who bring down the academic integrity of this university.

Spencer Wills

Louisville senior

This commentary doesn’t necessarily represent the views of the Herald or the university.