News Briefs

WKU Store offering book sell-back prices online

Students wanting to sell their books back to the WKU Store before they head home for break won’t have to wait in long lines to see how much their books are worth.

The WKU Store’s website now allows students to view “sell-back quotes” for individual textbooks. Students must enter a book’s International Standard Book Number (ISBN) in the correct field on the website and click “check price,” and the WKU Store will provide a current buy-back price.

Louisville sophomore Emily Roby said hearing the total when she buys books is the worst.

“The more money I get from books this semester, the more books I could afford next semester,” she said.

Students must have their WKU ID, driver’s license or military ID for all sell-back transactions, according to the website.

Prices could change as predetermined limits are met, and books that are in poor condition – including ones with water damage or missing pages – won’t be purchased.

Students can visit http://www.bookstore.wku.edu/ for more information.

-Emily Ulber and Hannah Bushon

AZD returning to WKU

WKU will be welcoming Alpha Xi Delta sorority back into its Greek community in the fall semester of 2011.

Alpha Xi Delta first installed its Epsilon Kappa chapter at WKU in 1967, according to an Alpha Xi Delta press release. The chapter disbanded in 1993.

“Alpha Xi Delta is always thrilled to re-establish a link in our Sisterhood, and we are honored to once again become part of the Western Kentucky University community,” Deanna Detchemendy, Alpha Xi Delta’s national president, said in the release.

Gary Wiser, coordinator of Student Activities, said the Panhellenic Association voted in September to extend an invitation to a new sorority on campus.

“We notified all sororities that aren’t here at WKU,” Wiser said. “The extension committee liked what Alpha Xi Delta stood for, and timing was right for them to join since they used to be here.”

He said they will arrive on campus next semester.

“They will be doing PR next semester – trying to get their name out,” Wiser said. “They will begin recruiting in September after formal rush.”

There are chapters of Alpha Xi Delta on 113 college campuses nationally, containing over 150,000 initiated members, according to the release.

Wiser said there are a lot of women interested in going Greek right now, some of whom may be interested in the newest sorority.

“People who might not have gotten bids to other sororities might see them recolonizing as a chance for them to join,” he said. “This new sorority is a great opportunity for many girls.”

Alpha Xi Delta will be eligible to receive their charter next fall, Wiser said. They’ll be the eighth National Panhellenic Conference sorority on campus, according to the release.

– Mike Stunson