Letter to the Editor: A statement regarding the disciplinary policies of WKU Athletics

The mission of the Western Kentucky University Department of Intercollegiate Athletics is to support the university vision by providing a comprehensive, high quality education for student-athletes and to serve the university community, alumni, and friends through success and distinction within an environment of uncompromising integrity.  Our ultimate purpose is to provide a world class academic and athletic experience for our student-athletes resulting in the vital personal development necessary for long term success.  When we announce the suspension of a student-athlete, our policy is to release the details surrounding the suspension and any corrective action taken is an internal matter between the student-athlete, his or her coaching staff, and the appropriate athletic department personnel.  Our utmost concern is the privacy and well being of our student-athletes.   It should be noted that we have outstanding student-athletes who represent WKU with class and dignity.  For all 412 WKU student-athletes, the overall cumulative average GPA is 2.95 and 207 student-athletes (50.2%) are maintaining a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.   Over the last 10 years, 85% of all student athletes who have exhausted their eligibility have graduated and they have helped WKU win a total of 73 Sun Belt Conference championships.  This combination of athletic and academic success is truly unique and is testimony to the tremendous dedication and perseverance of WKU’s student-athletes.

Todd Stewart

Senior Associate Athletic Director