COMMENTARY: Objections to Humans vs. Zombies game illogical

Herald Staff

To many a student’s dismay, Humans vs. Zombies was canceled. The main reason given was that the game promoted violence and that the Nerf guns and rolled up socks might actually be seen as real weapons. Another reason stated was that it might promote fighting on campus. In order to determine the true level of threat posed by this game, let’s break it down.

Nerf guns and rolled up socks can be seen as real weapons: It is common in the United States to have brightly colored guns. In fact, the military-issued rifles are often neon orange and purple. A recent study showed that among most guns involved in fatal shootings the color yellow was most prevalent. Also, there were many instances in 2009 of people coming onto college campuses and beating students to death with rolled up socks.

Sounds ridiculous doesn’t it? If students might mistake these brightly colored guns (and socks?!) as deadly weapons, I propose that the ROTC rifles be banned as well. Students could mistake these as weapons. While we are on the matter of banning things, I think ROTC should be banned. It has training that mimics those used by soldiers of war. Can you get any more violent than war? Also, football is far too violent. It actually has people knocking one another down! People can break limbs here! Way too dangerous.

Finally, there is the idea that fights can break out. That is very true. Measures should be taken immediately to prevent fighting. Speaking is banned – vocal arguments have a chance of turning violent. Alcohol at sporting events must be prohibited. Alcohol is known to cause violent actions in some. Sports of all kinds must be eliminated. Many sporting events have the chance of turning violent. It should also be noted that any type of game – video game, cards, chess, etc. – could cause the losers to become violent.

This was obviously written in a comical way. It was meant to show how any and everything can be viewed as dangerous and violent. Living can promote violence – you have to be alive to fight someone. Really it’s just an attempt to show how you can’t ban everything in life in an attempt to make everyone safe. So, is Humans vs. Zombies really such a big threat? Of course not. In all actuality it is much safer than many sports promoted by WKU. I have never heard of someone getting a concussion from a sock. Also, since there really is no way to lose (if you are a human and tagged, you play as a zombie), the chances of tempers flaring are really much less than in other games. And as for the Nerf guns, people would be hard-pressed to mistake these neon colored toys as actual weapons. Not to mention they ONLY play in the day, so the bright colors are easily seen. So, all this considered, why in the world was the game banned?

This commentary doesn’t necessarily represent the views of the Herald or the university.