Board of Regents to vote on certificates, degree today

Tessa Duvall

The fourth quarterly Board of Regents meeting will take place today at 12:30 p.m. in Mass Media and Technology Hall.

The approval of new academic certificates and a new degree will go before the board.

The approval of 15-hour graduate certificates in career counseling and religious studies will be up for vote.

According to agenda materials, the career counseling certificate will require no extra money because existing faculty can teach the classes. Existing faculty will also teach the religious studies classes, but initial funding for technology will come from Potter College of Arts and Letters as well as the Department of Philosophy and Religion.

There will also be a vote on a master’s degree in religious studies.

According to the degree proposal in agenda materials, a variety of factors in today’s society, including an influx of non-Christian religion and the rise of the “religious right,” make it an important issue.

After two years, the program could have about 10 to 15 students at any given time, the proposal states.

Gordon Emslie, provost and vice president for Academic Affairs, will also give a presentation about the final fall semester enrollment numbers and the profile of an Honors College student.

John Osborne, vice president for Campus Services and Facilities, will give an update on construction progress, and Ann Mead, vice president for Finance and Administration, will give a development update.

Personnel actions through Oct. 6 will also be up for approval.