Campus reacts to WKU’s win over Louisiana-Lafayette

Head Coach Willie Taggart acknowledges the crowd of cheering Western students outside Houchens-Smith Stadium following the football team’s first win in 26 games, Saturday, Oct. 23, 2010.

M. Blake Harrison

WKU hadn’t won a football game in 763 days. One week after collapsing at home against Louisiana-Monroe, the Toppers beat Louisiana-Lafayette, 54-21, on the road. With its first victory in tow since Sept. 20, 2008, WKU snapped a 26-game losing streak.

As fans on campus wait for the team’s return, here’s what they’re saying:

Flaherty senior Lara McMahan – “I’m really excited about the victory because I’m tired of seeing their sad faces come in here after every loss. I think it’s just good for morale, and they deserve it.”

Louisville sophomore Derrick McDonald – “It feels good to be a Hilltopper right now.”

New York, N.Y., junior Dan Man – “I’m glad they won, you hear me? ‘Bout time they (expletive) won. It’s about damn time. They needed it.”

WKU soccer Assistant Coach Chris Tinius (and brother of kicker Casey Tinius) – “I tell you what man, it’s just happiness, you know? Anybody involved in athletics knows this was a building process. I’m not just happy for the guys on the team now, but the ones on the team last year and the year before that continued to lay ground work and wait for this day to come.”

Owensboro freshman Josh Sengenberger – “Finally, we have a win!”

Danville junior Travis Howell – “It’s about time. I’m really happy we won. Attaway Tops!”

Alpheretta, Ga., freshman Kelsie Mattox (WKU softball infielder) – “I am so ecstatic that the football team won. It’s crazy … too bad they couldn’t do it here. The streak is over!”

Biloxi, Miss., sophomore Kim Wagner (WKU softball pitcher) – “We are thrilled that they won. We are so pumped. Can’t wait till they get back and the streak is over!”

Marell Booker, former WKU running back via text message – “Go Tops! Been rooting for my guys all yr! I knew it was coming only a matter of time WE know what it takes to win now let’s keep it going! I’ll b down sat for homecoming it’s the start of a new era.”

A.J. Slaughter, former WKU guard via text message – “Its great for the school, the football program, and the fans. Now it’s time to keep it rolling.”

Tyrell Hayden, former WKU running back via text – “This is crazy, we’ve been sooo close in the past that it felt like we would never see a win. I’ve always been proud to be a topper, but now I’m on a different level about it. I wanna say congrats to the team and say thank you to the true fans that came to every game no matter what. I’m relieved now.”