Halloween still a college tradition at WKU

Jacob Ryan

During Homecoming weekend, many WKU students will take a day to become someone or something other than themselves in celebration of Halloween.

Debbie Thornberry, one of the owners of Halloween Express, said costumes let people use their imaginations and do things they wouldn’t ordinarily do.

“I’ve seen guys dressed as the tooth fairy,” she said. “It’s what Halloween is all about.”

Halloween Express is a costume store located in the big orange tent at 2710 Scottsville Road, which is across from Greenwood Mall.

Thornberry said popular costumes this year include the Mad Hatter from “Alice in Wonderland” and “Toy Story” characters.

Those costumes won’t be available for very long, she said.

Louisville freshman Jen Harris said dressing up is part of the tradition.

“Halloween is Halloween,” she said. “You have to dress up.”

Harris said she’s not sure what she’s going to be this year for Halloween, but she will probably buy “something cute.”

Franklin junior Sierra Rhodes said she will be making her costume this year.

“I’ll be doing some Goodwilling, cutting, gluing, sewing and such,” she said.

Rhodes said she’s thinking about being Pinocchio.

“Why would you not dress up?” she said. “You get to be somebody else.”

Louisville freshman Trayshaun Brown said he plans to dress up as the Green Goblin from Spider-Man.

“Dressing up is a good way to show support for Halloween,” he said.

Brown said he’s going to buy his costume to make sure he gets what he wants.

“If I make it, it’s not going to look like the way I want,” he said.

Louisville graduate student Mandy Grego said Halloween costumes serve a deeper purpose.

“Costumes are a time to let your wild side show,” she said. “It may be scary. It may be skanky.”

Grego said she plans to make her costume with two other girls to be the “Three Blind Mice.”

“It’s going to be a night-before masterpiece,” she said. “Homemade is always better.”

But what does one do once in costume?

“Not going to freaking trick-or-treat,” Harris said.

Grego said she plans to get some treats, but not the kind you find in your plastic pumpkin.

“I’ll be enjoying liquid treats at local, fine establishments with a few friends,” she said.