Wilson challenging Reynolds for 32nd District Senate seat

Cristen Friddell

Mike Wilson and Mike Reynolds will battle it out on Nov. 2, Election Day, for the 32nd District seat in the Kentucky Senate, which encompasses Warren and Butler counties.

Reynolds currently holds the seat.

What is the most pressing issue on your agenda?

Reynolds

Reynolds said that he has already been hard at work to fix the economy, which he considers the most pressing issue.

He thinks the answer is creating jobs.

In the two years that Reynolds has held the 32nd District seat, he has helped to bring four new factories into the Morgantown area with more planned expansions for the future.

“I will continue to create a business climate that makes it attractive for businesses to settle in the area,” he said.

Wilson

Wilson said the economy is the most pressing issue of the day. He thinks that the U.S. can fix problems with the economy by making it easier for new businesses to settle in the area.

“One of the things we need to work on is our tax structure,” he said.

Wilson said he plans to model Kentucky’s tax structure after Tennessee’s system.

He said that offering large tax incentives to new businesses will cause damage in the long run.

To fix this, he said taxes must be lowered and some restrictions must be lifted to provide a more business-friendly environment.

“It’s my job to keep the government out of the way to allow new businesses to grow,” Wilson said.

What are you going to do about helping students afford college?

Reynolds

Reynolds said that he knows the struggles of paying for college, having been a WKU student himself.

He said that students should take advantage of all the scholarship opportunities provided by WKU and alumni.

However, he said that he will continue to support state money that will help WKU build, expand and provide better services for its students.

Wilson

Wilson said that last year, 60 percent – about $8.5 billion – of the state budget went to education.

Still, Kentucky ranked low on the national scale.

“We know we have a problem,” he said.

Wilson said that education problems need to be fixed early in a student’s educational career.

He also said that in order to make college more affordable and accessible to students, he wants to leave more decisions to university presidents, giving the school more control in doing what is best for the students.

Why should WKU students vote for you on Nov. 2?

Reynolds

“First of all, my wife and I are Western grads,” said Reynolds. “We are members of the Hilltopper Athletic Foundation, and we have a son who is a nursing student at Western.”

He said that he sees WKU as essential to the growth and vitality of the surrounding area, and he will continue to support the school’s interests and needs.

“If WKU goes, then Bowling Green goes,” Reynolds said. “To help one is to help the other.”

Wilson

“I’m a regular guy,” Wilson said. “I’m not an attorney. I’m a Marine.”

He said that he can relate to WKU students because he also had to work hard to succeed.

“I understand where they are,” Wilson said about WKU students. “I understand what it’s like to just be starting out. I understand that plight.”