Homecoming parade winners announced in downtown Bowling Green

Homecoming Queen candidate Kristin Studle who is sponsored by Alpha Gamma Delta sorority, Alpha Gamma Rho fraternity, Ceres and Kappa Sigma fraternity is taken to the top of the Hill during the Citizens First Homecoming parade on Friday.

Amira Ahmetovic

The Citizens First Homecoming Parade winner was announced earlier this evening.

Omega Phi Alpha, Pi Kappa Alpha and Zeta Phi Beta took first place with their “scary hall” theme.

“We’re super, super excited,” Omega Phi Alpha member Alyson Embry said. “All of our hard work paid of this year. It makes Homecoming that much better.”

Sigma Kappa, Phi Beta Sigma, Delta Tau Delta and Phi Delta Theta took second place while Alpha Omicron Pi, Sigma Alpha Epsilon and Alpha Kappa Alpha tied with Kappa Delta, Phi Gamma Delta and FarmHouse.

Hundreds of students and community members gathered around the sidewalks, watching and cheering on the parade, which included floats, homecoming queen candidates, the basketball team, the football team and candidates running for local office.

Hosted by the Warren County Alumni Chapter, the parade began on the WKU campus at College Heights Blvd., near Downing University Center, turned left onto State Street and ended at the Fountain Square Park downtown with a concert, which was new this year.

Having the parade downtown was a new experience for current students and the community.

“Best one we’ve had,” President Gary Ransdell said. “Anytime we can engage and bring the campus and community together, we will do it.”