Homecoming full of small adjustments, preparation

Joanna Williams

As soon as this year’s Homecoming has passed, several offices on campus will begin work on next year’s celebration.

The preparation is year-round, said Ginny Hensley, director of Alumni Programming and Homecoming co-chair.

“It’s the largest reunion of the year,” she said. “It’s when we have the largest amount of alums on campus. We want it to be a good experience.”

A “good experience” comes with making sure tables are set up correctly throughout campus during the week and having the events run as smoothly as possible, said Jeff Younglove, director of Campus and Community Events.

A lot of resources go into the planning from a labor standpoint, he said.

“A lot of our work comes from the overtime we put in,” Younglove said.

Gary Wiser, coordinator of Student Activities, said that several of the offices on campus have their own events they’re in charge of.

He said the work is rewarding.

“This is a very exciting time for campus and alumni,” Wiser said. “It allows for them to reconnect and reminisce.”

Officials said that since Halloween falls on the same weekend as Homecoming this year, it was easy to pick a theme.

But officials made adjustments to accommodate trick-or-treaters by making the game earlier in the day and changing the parade route so that it will end at Fountain Square Park, Hensley said.

“Our hope is that (Homecoming) can be nothing but good weather and good fellowship,” she said.