Western Wednesdays to start this week

At tonight’s Student Government Association meeting:

-SGA President Colton Jessie said he is meeting with Howard Bailey, vice president for Student Affairs, on Friday to discuss creating a website for off-campus housing.

-Executive Vice President Kendrick Bryan said Western Wednesdays start tomorrow, where students can get discounts at participating restaurants if they wear a WKU shirt and show their student ID. A list of the restaurants can be found on SGA’s website at www.wku.edu/sga.

-Senate elections will be Sept. 21-22. Applications will be available starting on Friday, and will be due on Sept. 14.

-A resolution passed that supports WKU Red and White Spirit Day, which encourages the campus community to wear WKU colors every Friday. Senators plan to have the resolution framed so they can take it to President Gary Ransdell when they attend a cookout at his house tomorrow.

-A bill passed that will set aside $400 to create study sway scholarships. It will be available to students traveling within the country as part of a class led by a WKU professor during the winter or summer terms.

-Two other bills were up for first reading tonight and will be voted on at next week’s meeting. One would set aside $885 to buy promotional materials for SGA, such as koozies and key chain bottle openers. Another would provide $500 to fund the Topper Involvement Program, which rewards students who are involved in campus events throughout the year.