LETTER TO THE EDITOR: SGA kick-starts new academic year at WKU

Kendrick Bryan

Name the only student organization dedicated to serving the interests and concerns of every student at WKU.

Spoiler alert: The title of the commentary should help you out.

With two Student Senate meetings in the books, the Student Government Association is looking for more students to get involved in branch activities.

The fall election for Student Senate seats is Sept. 21-22 on TopNet. Applications are available on the SGA website on the Resources page (www.wku.edu/sga). Applications are due by 5 p.m. on Sept. 13.

The Student Senate meets at 5 p.m. Tuesdays in Downing University Center room 305.

SGA also sponsors a number of signature services including:

•Organizational Aid – SGA annually provides over $40,000 for student organizations. Each organization can apply for up to $500. The contact for this program is Administrative Vice President Wade Pierce. The application is available on the SGA website.

•Provide-A-Ride – A designated driver program paid for by SGA as well as WKU Parking and Transportation Services. It is a late-night, on-call service created to reduce driving under the influence. The service is available from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. (Tuesday to Saturday). It provides a free ride home (within the service area of Bowling Green) with a current WKU ID during the fall and spring semesters. Request service at 270-776-7777.

•Scholarships – Students are eligible to apply for study abroad scholarships and scholar development grants (funding reserved for conference attendance, equipment purchases and other research expenses). The fall deadline for these applications is October 15.

•Test Materials – SGA offers free Blue Books and Scantron forms in the SGA office in DUC 130.

•Western Wednesdays – Wear WKU apparel and get a discount. Thirteen restaurants are partners in this initiative.

Last year, the Student Senate helped sponsor many events and projects including FIJIs Across America, the American Collegiate Intramural Sports Regional Flag Football Tournament, the Wilson Family Endowment Fund for Injured Student Athletes, the mural near Schneider Hall, the Miss Black Western Pageant, the Rally for Higher Education and the Interfaith Dialogue on Earth Care.

The SGA operates on a budget of $110,000 and has increased the number of services it provides the student body, but more branch members are needed to discuss new programs and other campus issues.

SGA has recently been influential in changing parking policies, the resident handbook and the campus cable lineup.

If a student is not able to attend Student Senate meetings, they can get involved in decision-making through a university committee.

The mission of SGA is to address student needs toward all aspects of university life. The organization’s email address is [email protected], and the branches also have a presence on Facebook, Twitter and WordPress.

WKU is a community dedicated to learning, where ideas are offered, examined and discussed. Help SGA better WKU through involvement and participation in keeping the organization accountable and relevant.

This commentary does not represent the views of the Herald or the university.