Mac or PC?

Katie Brandenburg

Dillon Orison made the switch from a Windows PC to a Macintosh laptop this summer.

And the Killeen, Texas sophomore claims he’s never going back.

Orison, the proud owner of a MacBook Pro, is a graphic design major. He said the switch seemed somewhat backward at first, but within a week, he was hooked.

Macs are extremely user-friendly, Orison said.

“They want to do everything for you,” he said. “That’s just how Apple develops their stuff.”

Orison isn’t alone in his satisfaction with Apple products.

Even in an economic recession, the company reported its most profitable quarter ever this week, with a net quarterly profit of $1.67 billion, according to an Apple news release.

In this past quarter, which ended Sept. 26, Apple sold about 3 million Mac computers, 10.2 million iPods and 7.4 million iPhones, according to the release.

Goshen junior Justin Wuetcher said he wasn’t surprised Apple’s profits were so high.

Wuetcher, a double major in photojournalism and graphic design, said he bought his Mac the summer before his freshman year of college.

The high-quality graphics and color in his computer made it ideal for both his majors, he said.

“It’s a big initial investment,” Wuetcher said. “But it’s definitely worth it.”

Both Wuetcher and Orison were quick to admit that Macs may not be the best fit for all students.

“You’re not going to pay $2,100 to use Microsoft Word,” Orison said.

But Orison said he spends a lot of time on Adobe programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Flash, all of which run “flawlessly” on his Mac.

Associate Art Professor Joon Sung teaches several art classes, including courses in image manipulation, 3-D design and digital media.

Nearly all of the computers in the art department are Macs, which cater to multimedia arts, he said.

Sung also wasn’t surprised by Apple’s high profits, saying Macs have become much more affordable over the past 10 years.

Mark Bitterling, a former PC user turned Mac fanatic, owns The Place, which is on 431 Park Row in downtown Bowling Green.

It’s the only authorized Apple specialist between Louisville and Nashville, said Bitterling, who used a PC before his computer was stolen in 1997.

That year, he decided to try a Mac, and he said he hasn’t looked back since.

“Anything a PC can do — a Mac can do it, too,” Bitterling said.

Macs can run Windows Vista, he said. In fact, critics have said that Macs can actually run the operating system faster than a PC.

It’s almost impossible for a Mac to become infected with a virus, one of PC users’ biggest pet peeves, Bitterling said.

“If you can write a virus for a Mac, you can get paid to do it,” he said.