CAB to add new flavor

Tavia Green

he Campus Activities Board wants to help students who complain about being bored or stressed.

Their solution: comedy shows, lectures, poetry readings, concerts and other activities.

CAB’s goal this year is to change that by promoting events through a new public relations campaign using flyers, posters, e-mails and brochures, CAB Adviser Azurdee Garland said.

Members of the group also want to advertise upcoming events earlier this year to increase student turnout, she said.

“Ninety-nine percent of the events are free.” Garland said.

Elizabethtown junior Amber Skee said she’s never heard of CAB. She said she’s never been invited to attend one of the organization’s events.

Louisville junior Frank Easley said he’s attended CAB events since his freshman year for the food, games and fun.

“It’s something positive and constructive for us, as humans, to do,” Easley said.

Events this semester will include movies every Tuesday at REDZ on the fourth floor of Downing University Center, according to the official CAB fall 2004 schedule.

Different comedians will also be featured every month.

J. Chris Newberg, an acoustics comedian, preformed at DUC yesterday.

The man, Morgan Spurlock, who tested the effect of eating McDonalds regularly in the movie “Supersize Me” will speak on Sept. 15 in DUC.

Police Chief Charles Moose of the Maryland Police Department will also give a lecture on Nov. 11 in Van Meter Auditorium. He was the head of the sniper task force during the investigation in Washington, D.C.

Caricaturist Jodi Fleming will be in REDZ from 6-10 p.m. tomorrow, which is also family day.

Other events this fall will include live bands from different genres of music. Javier Mendoza, a Latin heritage musician is expected to perform on Sept. 29 in DUC.

Students interested in joining CAB can attend meetings held at 3 p.m. every Monday in DUC.

Reach Tavia Green at [email protected].