Letters to the Editor

A dorm by any other name…

Do you live in a dorm? Do you sit in your room with no programs going on you can attend, and you just sleep there? Is your dorm a place for sleeping? Seriously, do you not talk to anyone, interact? I’m betting the odds are no. That’s because dorms have vanquished and residence halls have blossomed! I’m the vice president of the Residence Hall Association. We’ve added channels to your TV in the past, worked on several policies and plan a lot of programs in your hall.

I cringe at the “D” word. Dorm? Blah! A residence hall is a place to live, a place where community is built. Ever heard of the Student Government Association or the Campus Activities Board? Of course you have, they are mentioned in almost every Herald!

Ever heard of the RHA? Chances are…probably not! We are the people behind the curtains. The ones passing out hot dogs last Sunday, the ones bringing you the awesome Coupon Mints and final kits. I’m going to bring around a change. I’m going to try my hardest to erase the word dorm from your mind and bring about the knowledge of RHA.

We build relationships, build community, but we are always behind the shadows. It’s like we aren’t important, aren’t strong enough, aren’t able enough. We are who we are, we make the college experience a great one with things like Master Blaster, Mardi Gras, Shantytown and Spring Fling. You might see us in the paper around then, but do you ever any other time?

I’m just telling anyone who is interested in learning more about themselves, learning more about Western and planning lots of fun programs, including a possible trip to New York, that we are in Housing and Residence Life. We meet at 4 p.m. on Mondays in Southwest Hall, room 12.

We are awesome and I just want our name out there more. We do a lot for this campus and it’s always nice to be noticed.

Jackie Yenowine

Louisville junior

Marine bothered by t-shirt

I am a U.S. Marine who served on active duty for a period of six years. I was honored to serve my country on three separate continents and engage in training with other countries’ armies.

I was disturbed as I sat one day in class and saw the defamation of a flag-raising. An organization on campus had taken one of the most sacred, historical pictures ever taken of the marines in action and put it on their t-shirts. The photograph was of the sacred U.S. flag-raising on Mt. Suribachi on the island of Iwo Jima.

Thousands of marines and sailors died taking over this island and reaching the main island of Japan to defeat the emperor.

I feel as though the organization, for me personally, took something sacred and put its brand name on it. Many who wear that shirt have never worn a uniform and could not tell you where that picture was from. I am a proud American and also a marine. Don’t take something you have never earned and don it for your glory.

Semper Fi,

Sgt. Miki Padgett

San Jose, Costa Rica senior