SGA to hold online election

Beth Wilberding

Students who cast their ballots for president last spring are now being asked to come out and vote again.

The Student Government Association will hold an online presidential election on Sept. 14-15 to replace the candidate who was elected president in March.

Henderson senior Nick Todd announced his resignation as SGA president in July. He came under investigation in April for allegedly misusing more than $600 in an SGA dining dollars account.

Todd served as the vice president of finance last fall and spring.

A meeting for anyone interested in running for president or a senate seat will be held at 7 p.m. on Aug. 31 in the SGA office in Downing University Center.

Senate elections are also Sept. 14-15.

Applications for both elections are due Sept. 7, Acting President Katie Dawson said.

Presidential candidates must be full-time students who have held an elected SGA position for at least one year or can obtain a by judicial exemption, according to the SGA Constitution.

A student can receive a judicial exemption if the judicial council determines that he or she understands the responsibilities of the position, Senate Speaker Robert Watkins said.

“A lot of the work of the president is behind the scenes,” Bowling Green junior Watkins said. “And it’s not necessarily something you would typically think about.”

Candidates must also have a 2.5 grade point average and 30 credit hours.

No students – or current SGA members – have publicly announced interest in running for president, Dawson, a Radcliff junior, said.

“I’ve heard rumors of a few people,” she said. “I know there is interest, but nothing official.”

Dawson, who was elected executive vice president in March, declined to comment on her own interest.

If an SGA president is elected in September, then he or she may appoint a new vice president. The person must be approved by 2/3 of the senate, Watkins said.

Bulan senior Jessica Martin, who contested Todd in the spring, said she will not run for president.

“I have a lot of things going on,” Martin said. “I have no desire to be student regent at this point.”

Martin plans to remain active in SGA. She said she would like to serve in an appointed position such as chief justice.

But SGA members are currently waiting for students to apply for senate seats.

Candidates must be full-time students with a 2.0 GPA and in good standing with the university to qualify for one of the 21 seats.

Freshman candidates are only required to have a 2.0 high school GPA, Dawson said.

Four of the senate positions are allotted to the freshman class. Anybody can apply for the remaining at large seats.

Dawson said she is excited about the elections in September.

“It’s kind of exciting because I think our election is gearing up for the November presidential election,” she said.

Reach Beth Wilberding at [email protected].