Non-trad student group forming

Adriane Hardin

Melissa Constant, 31, said she doesn’t have a voice on campus because of her age. But Constant, a Clarkson freshman, wants that to change.

Several students are working with university officials to establish bylaws and a constitution for a non-traditional club that would begin in next semester.

Constant has written the bylaws for the club and is now working on the constitution. They must be approved by Charley Pride, student activities and organizations coordinator.

The club will serve as a support group for non-traditional students and will provide various educational services, said Bowling Green freshman Elizabeth Hirst Sheppard, a non-traditional student.

Sheppard said she expects the club to get approved by next fall.

Programs geared toward teaching non-traditional students will center around navigating TopNet and using e-mail, Sheppard said.

The group is planning a clothing drive in the fall for non-traditional students with children, she said. All activities will help meet the needs of non-traditional students.

“There are so many of us and there is nothing for us to do on campus,” Constant said.

There are more than 2,500 non-traditional students on Western’s main campus, said Luther Hughes, associate vice president of enrollment management.

Western is always trying to increase support for non-traditional students, Hughes said.

Sheppard also plans to work closely with Student Government Association members, who would be able to discuss non-traditional student issues.

SGA supports the club’s efforts, said Jessica Martin, former vice president of administration for SGA.

“It is something that has been lacking in the past,” Martin said. “We will work with them in any way we can. Our doors are open to all students and their suggestions.”

Students who are interested in joining the non-traditional club should contact Sheppard by e-mail at [email protected].

Reach Adriane Hardin at [email protected]