Diverse teachers sought

Marlene Brueggemann

Some Western students see their diplomas as a ticket to leave Bowling Green.

But Warren County Public Schools officials would like to see graduating education majors stay in the county and start their careers.

In an effort to recruit minority education majors for teaching positions in the Bowling Green area and to help students get teaching jobs, Western’s Office of Diversity Programs has teamed up with Warren County Public Schools and created a mentoring program.

Creating a Diverse Education Team, or CADET, tries to address and assist students to meet the qualifications and requirements for teaching jobs.

“We do want to keep some of our students that we train as part of our community,” said C.J. Woods, director of Diversity Programs.

Michael Coleman, recruiter for Warren County Public Schools, said they have a diverse population and the program is trying to attract teachers that meet the students’ needs.

A minority teacher recruitment reception in November introduced the program to prospective teachers, Woods said.

Three CADET sessions have been held so far. Previous sessions have covered career aspects like commitment, professionalism, interviewing skills and resume writing.

The program will wrap up with the Warren County schools and Western’s Future Teacher’s Reception on April 27. It is open to all education majors.

“This information is invaluable, and all students can benefit from discussions that will take place that night,” Woods said.

Programs at the reception will include presentations and mock interview sessions. Students will also have the opportunity to network with the Warren County School system.

As door prizes, Diversity Programs and the Minority Teacher Recruitment Center will offer two vouchers for the PRAXIS test, which students are required to pass to gain teacher certification.

Nayasha Walker, coordinator for the Minority Teacher Recruitment Center, said she is pleased with the program.

Coleman said the program is successful and that there are several students who have shown interest in working in Warren County.

Dale Brown, superintendent of Warren County Public Schools, said he also is pleased with the program.

He said Warren County Schools fill about 100 teaching positions annually.

Coleman said one obstacle to recruiting people to Warren County is that many students want to return to their hometowns to work there. This may be for financial reasons or because they prefer familiar surroundings.

“A lot of people want to be where their family is,” he said.

Woods said another problem in recruiting teachers to Warren County is that some students have already decided to go some place else because of scholarship obligations.

Woods said he doesn’t know how many students are seriously considering staying in Warren County.

“If they are staying in the area, we want to help assist in interviewing and applying for the jobs,” Woods said.

Reach Marlene Brueggemann at [email protected].