Letters to the Editor

Don’t be judgmental

I have never in my entire life read a commentary as pointless and ludicrous as “Women Shouldn’t Wear ‘WKU Butt Shorts'” and I’m sure the vast majority of Western students feel the same.

I enjoy being in style and dressing with class. The WKU butt shorts are a part of my wardrobe and I have never thought that I looked lower-class when I wear them. They are simply red cotton shorts that happen to bear the school letters on them. They are not skimpy and my butt does not hang out of them. Well, then what is the difference between a T-shirt decorated with a simple WKU logo and shorts bearing the same? The letters are the same size, just a different location. If you don’t think people know what WKU stands for, then you must have been living under a rock. There is nothing wrong with combining fashion with school spirit. That’s what the butt shorts do.

I really felt the article was contradictory to the attitudes that a good Christian should possess. Judging someone’s character on something as caddy as one’s attire is not a positive quality to carry throughout life. Luke 6:37 in the Bible says “Do not judge, and you will not be judged.”

Furthermore, I found it very inappropriate to scorn those individuals on campus who deal with weight issues. No one is perfect, and I am sure that the individual who quoted this in his article has many flaws as well.

I understand that we are entitled to voice our own opinions; that’s what makes us the land of the free. However, there are some circumstances in which I feel individuals confuse voicing opinions in a rational manner with doing so in a judgmental fashion.

For future reference, the “girl, did you get hurt when you fell from heaven” line doesn’t work – we women don’t fall for lame lines like that.

Amber Beg

Owensboro senior

Sorority should have attention

As president of Omega Phi Alpha, I am very disappointed in the ability of this paper to report about worthy organizations on campus.

I feel that time and time again, Omega Phi Alpha is overlooked and not given the credit that we deserve. We participated in Relay for Life two weeks ago and raised over $2,500 for the American Cancer Society. We also won “Most Spirit” at the festivities.

In addition, it seemed to miss the pages of the Herald last year when we single-handedly raised almost $1,000 for cancer research in our annual date auction.

I’ve been a member for the past three years, and I’ve seen, firsthand, our membership grow by 200 percent. I’m glad that our strongest recruiting device is through word of mouth, because we’re certainly not getting any help from our friendly campus journalists.

With over 80 active members, we are one of the largest sororities on campus, and it would be nice to get the support from our university newspaper that I feel is long past due. We do a lot for this campus and I feel we deserve to be recognized for our accomplishments.

Nicole Hurst

Elizabethtown senior

Size shouldn’t matter

We are in a country of freedom; females and males are allowed to wear what they want. I am not a small girl – I am a proud size 12. Which by the way, is the average of the female population today. Yes, sometimes females do push what they should wear. But if they feel comfortable in what they are wearing, good for them.

Some girls probably do wear things revealing to attract some attention. I, on the other hand, don’t. I probably push what I should wear too and guys probably are like, “Why is she wearing that?” But I was also brought up not to care what others are thinking or saying. If I am going to a job interview that would be a different story.

We are in college, we are grown folks, and no one has the right to tell me what to wear and not to wear, besides my mother. We do not have a dress code. I am probably saying enough for the female population that is not a size 2. I do appreciate Jackson’s opinion because I am sure there are others who think the same as him. Like I said, this is a free country and I am not knocking Jackson of voicing his opinion. But I am proud of my body and I feel comfortable in “booty shorts,” so I shall wear them.

Samantha Smith

Indianapolis sophomore

Women have a right to choose

There are so many pressing issues on this campus, in this country and around the world and you chose to use three columns and countless words for a commentary about “butt shorts?”

He doesn’t understand “why some girls think they have to show some cheek to get attention?” I suggest he take a look around at TV, magazines and pop stars. We are all bombarded with images of scantily clad women getting attention. Some girls have actually come to believe that’s what it takes, just as some believe a quick mind or a bright smile garners attention.

But not all girls wear butt shorts, or other revealing clothing like that “just to turn a few sex-crazed guys heads.” Yes some do. But don’t generalize us all. Nor are we solely responsible for your “not-so-good, lustful thoughts.” They are your responsibility. We don’t ask for them when we wear certain clothes. It’s up to you to deal with them properly. We may contribute to them, but that shouldn’t be a reason for me to cover up parts of my body. I’m wearing a short skirt right now because it’s warm and the sun feels good on my legs, I like the way it looks, and it’s my choice. If it happens to turn you on or you don’t think it looks good on me, that’s your problem. I didn’t ask for it. I didn’t wear it for you. Jackson tries to redeem himself by saying some girls will look good in Eskimo suits, so that they don’t have to wear revealing things. But it shouldn’t be about what they chose to wear or don’t wear in the first place.

Jackie Alexis Brown

Louisville junior