Gospel Explosion expects big crowd

Stephanie Toone

The Garrett Center is sure to blow up Sunday evening.

Last year’s Gospel Explosion, a celebration of gospel music presented by the Campus Activities Board, packed the Garrett Ballroom with gospel music lovers from around Bowling Green. In its second year, the Gospel Explosion is set to make an even bigger blast.

The event will feature performances by choir groups from Eastern Kentucky University, Kentucky State University, University of Kentucky and Western’s Amazing Tones of Joy. It will start at 4 p.m. and is scheduled to end at 6 p.m.

Louisville senior Deandra VanCleave, president of ATJ, said last year’s performance was so successful that the performance went past 6 p.m. and filled up the ballroom. But VanCleave said the time and limited space did not affect the audience’s enjoyment.

“It was hot and packed, but no one was complaining,” VanCleave said.

She said she is expecting the Gospel Explosion to be even better this year. Van Cleave also said that this year there will be a 30-minute limit for each choir to ensure the program will not go past 6 p.m.

Azurdee Garland, Campus Activities Board assistant, said another change for this year will be the admission of $2. Last year the performance was free, but this year there are extra expenses.

“The money is going to recoup funds that we spent on transportation for the choirs,” she said.

Garland said CAB chartered a bus for the almost 400 students from the other universities to get to Western. She said they provided the transportation to be sure all of the students got to Bowling Green safely.

Garland said the small fee for a good time is worth it.

“To have a performance all in one room of this magnitude is really cheap,” she said.

Garland said that CAB really gained a lot of attention from the program last year.

“We had never sponsored any gospel music programs,” she said. “We have hired professionals, but we have never done it with all the Kentucky schools.”

Garland said the evening’s performances will be amazing and the choirs will be a treat.

VanCleave said the amazement will all begin with the Amazing Tones of Joy when they open with a medley of new songs.

ATJ will also present Holy Ghost Takeover, a sneak peek to the Gospel Explosion, at 6 p.m. Saturday in the Baptist Student Union.

Reach Stephanie Toone at [email protected]