Sigma Kappas help with prom

Lauren Sanchez

The month of April means many things for college students. Cramming for tests, finishing papers and pulling together projects. But for many high school students, April means one thing -prom.

Though many high school students dream of that special night, some don’t get the chance to experience it because of the costs that come with it. That’s where Sigma Kappa sorority comes in.

Louisville junior Lindsay Hughes, a member of the sorority, said she came up with the idea for a dress drive while working at Warren Central High School.

Hughes works at Central to complete her practicum requirements with exceptionally educated students.

She discussed the project with her sorority’s panhellenic delegate Rae-Chelle Davis, a freshman from Kansas City, Kan., who then got it approved with the council. The sorority sent letters to all Greek organizations this week.

Hughes said she found out that a lot of girls at the school weren’t going to prom because they couldn’t afford a dress, and she wanted to find some way to help.

She said 10 dresses have already been donated, and her sorority is looking for more.

“A lot of girls will bring them back after Easter,” Hughes said.

Letters were also sent to fraternity houses asking for monetary donations.

Shelbyville senior Morgan McLaughlin, Sigma Kappa president, said she just doesn’t want to help with dresses.

“We want to go and help them with their hair and makeup on prom night,” she said.

Hughes said they would like to finish the project April 17 since Central’s prom is April 24.

“… If dresses come straggling in on the 20th, then that’s fine,” she said. “We’ll even take them up to the 22nd or 23rd.”

Though this is the first time the Sigma Kappas have done this project, Hughes said she hopes it will continue and expand in the future.

Though letters were only sent out to Greek organizations, McLaughlin said it’s not limited to Greeks.

“We would accept dress or monetary donations from any group on campus,” she said.

Reach Lauren Sanchez at [email protected].