Second Unity Step Show at 8 tonight

Kelly Richardson

Unity on Western’s campus is an important issue, and one fraternity has been working to promote the unification of all campus Greek organizations.

For the second year in a row, Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity is coordinating the Unity Step Show at 8 p.m. tonight in DUC Theater. Tickets are $5.

Tawanda Chitapa, a graduate student from Bulawayo, Zimbabwe, and the show’s co-chairman, said the purpose of the step show is to unify campus sororities and fraternities.

The step show in the fall only involves members from the National Pan Hellenic Council. The show tonight is focused on unifying more Greeks on campus.

Fraternities and sororities from both the NPHC and the Panhellenic Council are participating, bringing together Western’s black and white Greek organizations.

Chitapa said participants include sororities Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Omicron Pi, Kappa Delta and Delta Sigma Theta, as well as a number of other fraternities and sororities.

After the success of last year’s show, sororities and fraternities are back for more fun.

Somerset senior Heather Scalf, a member of the KDs, is the Unity Step Show chairwoman for the sorority. She said the sorority is looking forward to participating tonight.

The KDs were involved last year for the first Unity Step Show. Scalf said they tried it because they knew some of the Alphas and considered it a great way to bring different organizations together.

“We had a lot of fun with it,” Scalf said.

Participation in the step show has a different flavor than other Greek events on campus.

“It’s kind of an outlet for us since Spring Sing is so hectic,” Scalf said.

Spring Sing takes place during Greek Week in April and involves complicated, competitive singing and dancing.

Twelve KDs are participating in the step show tonight, hoping to capture the win again this year.

Chitapa said the NPHC organizations have been helping the Panhellenic organizations prepare for the event.

“I just hope this is a good experience for everyone,” Chitapa said.

Reach Lynn Steller at [email protected]