South campus hosting job fair

Emily Salmon

Four of the most important things college seniors think about will be on display today at south campus.

Resumes. Cover letters. Interviews. And finding an employer that is hiring.

The 2004 Spring Job Fair will have more than 100 organizations represented. The fair is being held from 1 to 4 p.m. at south campus in the Carroll Knicely Conference Center. It is free for all Western students and alumni.

Businesses looking to hire employees, employment agencies and representatives from graduate and professional schools will all be in attendance.

Representatives will be looking to fill positions, including permanent, part-time and summer employees. They will also be looking for interns. The representatives will also be available for discussion about career options and opportunities.

Carol White, associate director of the Career Services Center, has helped organize the fair.

“Job fairs present a rare opportunity to meet face to face with recruiters, to share information and make initial contact,” she said.

White said this is the fourth year Western has had the job fair, and it presents a wonderful networking opportunity.

She also said that the atmosphere of the fair is more relaxed than an interview setting, but students should still be professional.

“Students should remember that anytime they meet a company representative they are making an impression,” she said.

White encouraged students to dress professionally in business professional or business casual attire, research any companies they might be interested in, and bring plenty of copies of their resume. She also suggested that students come early and follow up with organizations that interest them.

Mike Hammond, a group recruiter for Enterprise Rent-A-Car, will be one of the representatives at the fair.

“It is great for students because they have a captive audience,” he said. “The employers are there to see them, and they can spend all day networking and finding out what companies they are truly interested in pursuing.”

Part of Hammond’s job is recruiting and attending job fairs.

“Many of our employees were first seen walking through a college career fair or professional job fair,” he said.

Hammond also encourages students to dress professionally and do their homework beforehand. He also said to pick up lots of business cards and take notes about the companies.

A few of the other organizations planning to attend the fair include Christian County Public Schools of Hopkinsville, Dillard’s of Bowling Green, Greenview Regional Hospital of Bowling Green, the Kentucky Department of Education and Saint Joseph Healthcare of Lexington. The Western graduate studies department will also have a representative.

Franklin junior Desiree Williams is planning on going to the fair.

“I want to get an opportunity to gain experience in an internship or at least develop my networking skills,” she said.

Reach Emily Salmon at [email protected]