CAB organizes Black History Month festivities

Jessica Smith

Eminent speakers and famous authors are expected to add flair to the Hill for black history month this year.

Despite a tight budget, the Campus Activities Board will offer a larger variety of events and speakers to honor black history month this year to lure a more diverse crowd.

Azurdee Garland, CAB assistant, said students chose who they wanted to come and worked with booking agencies as early as September.

One of the events featured this month is the second annual African-American History Bowl which will take place at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 10 on Downing University Center’s fourth floor.

“The African-American History Bowl is a fun game show like ‘Who Wants to be a Millionaire?'” said Monica Burke, associate director for Office of Diversity Programs.

Teams can have between two and 10 people and can win $200. The questions are about African American History and Western.

Another popular event is The Crimson and Cream Ball at 10:30 p.m. Saturday night at Ellis Place on State Street. Burke said it gives students the opportunity to dress up and look nice for the evening.

Burke also said a popular event is the African-American Lecture Series.

“The series last year had a good turn out,” Burke said. “Hearing the lecture gives students a new perspective and the knowledge to explore.”

The series has four lectures scheduled throughout February. Nikki Giovanni opened the series last night in Van Meter Hall. CAB is still searching for speakers to fill the two remaining slots.

Sheila Williams, author of “The Shade of My Own Tree,” will speak at 7 p.m. tonight at South Campus.

“I think the lecture will be interesting,” Louisville junior Danielle Merrill said. “Sheila Williams is a good writer role model for African-American women.”

A new event featured this year is a lecture titled “Bridging the Gap” which will be held from 6-8 p.m. Feb. 9 in DUC room 340. Burke said it will give an overview of race relations today.

Reach Jessica Smith at [email protected]