Memorial set for tomorrow

Beth Wilberding

The lives of three freshmen who died in a car wreck Saturday will be remembered at 6 p.m. tomorrow in Van Meter Auditorium.

Rachel Blevins of Oakland, Rachel Cate of Nashville and Katie Jeter of Franklin, Tenn., died in a one-car accident on Interstate 65 just north of Upton.

The three students were members of Phi Mu sorority and were on their way to a regional meeting at Bellarmine University in Louisville when the wreck happened.

Members of Phi Mu are planning the memorial in conjunction with Western and the office of Student Activities and Organizations. The service will be open to the public.

“It’s going to be members of the Western community, the Greek community and the Bowling Green community,” said Margo Grace, a Western alumna and Phi Mu house coordinator.

She said plans are still uncertain because the sorority hasn’t been able to confirm what Western officials are going to be there.

Charley Pride, director of student activities and organizations, said a representative from Western would be speaking, and Phi Mu members will be talking about each of the women.

“This is more of a planned event,” Pride said. “People were picked to talk about each individual … not one where people get up to a microphone.”

He added that people attending the service didn’t need to bring memorial gifts.

“Their presence is all that will be encouraged,” Pride said.

The sorority is gathering photos of the women to prepare a slide show.

Grace said the women are still numb from the loss of their sorority sisters. Members of the sorority attended Jeter’s and Cate’s funerals on Tuesday and Blevins’ funeral yesterday.

Kentucky State Police said Blevins, the driver, lost control of the SUV when she hit an icy patch on the road. The SUV hit a wall and tree, and then rolled end over end.

Two other sorority members, Jessica Sutton, a freshman from Hendersonville, Tenn., and Cara Wright, a freshman from Germantown, Tenn., were injured in the wreck. Both women were treated and released from Hardin Memorial Hospital over the weekend.

Reach Beth Wilberding at [email protected].