News Briefs

Kentucky Museum hosting monster exhibit

Almost 200 years ago, a young Mary Shelley published her famous novel, “Frankenstein.” Now the phenomenon Shelley’s monster created is due to appear Saturday at the Kentucky Museum in an exhibit titled “Frankenstein: Penetrating the Secrets of Nature.”

Western was one of 80 libraries selected to display the exhibit out of more than 1,000 from across the country that applied. The exhibit will discuss the novel and the psychology behind Frankenstein as well as medical controversies about human life that exist today.

Freshman Seminar instructor Molly Kerby said she started working several years ago to bring the exhibit to Western.

Kerby said she had to schedule programs in conjunction with the six-week display.

-Lynn Steller

Campus police to host annual academy

Campus police will host their second annual University Police Academy beginning next month. The academy offers students, faculty and staff the chance to get a taste of what it’s like to be a campus police officer.

“We put them in our shoes and our responsibilities,” said Crime Prevention Officer Joe Harbaugh.

To be part of the University Police Academy, interested participants must turn in an application by Jan. 31. Chief Robert Deane, Maj. Jerry Phelps and Harbaugh will be among the people reviewing applications.

Applications are available at police headquarters. The academy is limited to 20 people.

During the eight-week program, participants will learn about topics ranging from department missions and organization to the use of force and fire arms.

“The reason we started (the academy) is to build a stronger relationship with students and staff,” Harbaugh said. “And to let them know we have other obligations to the university.”

To contact the department call 745-2548.

-Beth Wilberding